Friday, December 17, 2010

WHEN EAST MEETS WEST

Travelled to Beijing for the 2nd time in late November - both times for business. While I didn't get to do any sightseeing during my first visit two years ago, I managed to do a little this time around. I had the good fortune of travelling with a colleague who had lived in Beijing for two years - he became our "tour guide" for half a day.

So we visited the Palace Museum and was surprised to see Hall of Supreme Harmony (Taihe dian), the biggest building in the Forbidden City, not under renovation. Our "tour guide" said he has been there four times and this is the first time he gets to see the building in its entirety.

What I want to mention, however, is the clash of eastern and western cultures in Beijing. Once a Communist society, China has gradually been influenced by capitalism. The Swatch and Starbucks stores located in a very Chinese looking commercial area is definitely a sight to see.



Also got to taste some good food. Have to thank our "tour guide" again for that. Nothing fancy, but food which I usually ate in Taiwan but prepared differently gave me a pleasant experience.



However, despite what nice things I might have said about Beijing, I won't want to pay another visit any time soon because it is just too damn cold...

1 comment:

Juliana said...

Dear, Very proud of you. Another entry of blog in this short period of time. Wow, like the photos, and since I have never been to Beijing, your SECOND time makes me jealous!!!
Though is winter, cannot feel the coldness from the photos. Nevertheless, am very glad that you finally spent some time for yourself other than work!
Good improvement for you!